Instagram: @veggie.jam | veggiejam.com
1 tsp curry leaves (optional)
2 roma tomatoes
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp ground coriander
¹⁄8 tsp cayenne
¹⁄8 tsp turmeric
½ tsp salt
¾ cup red lentils
1¾ cups water
¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
Fresh lemon juice, coriander and rice for serving
• Mince the garlic. Peel and dice the turnips. Wash the tomatoes and dice them as well.
• Sauté the garlic and curry leaves for 2 min in a bit of oil or water.
• Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 1 min. Then, transfer the diced turnips to the pot, stir and cook covered for 2-3 min.
• In the meantime, rinse and drain the lentils. Add the lentils, spices, water and coconut milk to the pot and bring to a boil. Then, simmer slightly covered on low for 17-20 min.
• Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, fresh coriander and brown rice. Store leftovers in the fridge. As the dhal may thicken in the fridge, add a bit of water when reheating it on the stove.